--- Jeroen van Baardwijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At Stardate 20030625.2043, Jorpho wrote:
>
> >It has been said that there is a certain dramatic allure to the whole
> >secret process of sending the jury off to deliberate before unveiling with
>
> >a flourish what they agreed on, without any consderation given to how they
>
> >arrived at this conclusion.
>
> That's one of the things I don't like about the jury system: the lack of
> transparency. Over here a judge not only decides on whether someone is
> guilty or innocent, s/he also has to explain how that conclusion was
> reached.
>

> >But it might also be said that it would be too costly to train large
> >numbers of people in the minutae of the law.
>
> All the more reason not to have a jury system; better spend that money on
> properly training a limited number of people than leaving guilty/not-guilty
>
> decisions to the uneducated masses.
>
> BTW, I don't know how this is handled elsewhere, but in The Netherlands
> going to Law School is just like going to any other school: the government
> doesn't pay for it, you'll have to pay for it yourself (despite the
> existence of student loans from the government).

To an american this si scarry! How do you make sure that the judge does not
abuse that very extream power. We all know how something can be twisted by
one person to fit. Our Judges can only find a lack of evidence, they can not
find someone guilty unless they person waves the right to a jury trial.

You will NEVER get americans to go for any system that does not use a trial
by peers, and does not have an appeal process.

The addition of a required explination on the other hand sounds like a good
idea. "Explain the proof" that is an improvement that I will be mailing to my
senator and congraswoman as soon as I can get it reviewed for spelling etc..

=====