Yes, a chance to move on!  I hope no one objects to the change in subject
line.

> On a Brinnish topic, has anyone ever considered the role that Brin casts
humanity in  > in his Uplift series?  Especially his second series (mind
you, i've only read
> brightness reef so far).  I feel that he uses his space opera collection
of races to
> represent his interpretation of different aspects of humanity, and the
human race as
> the ideal.  This seems to be especially true in Brightness Reef, where a
genuinely
> cosmopolitan mix is proposed in a round about way as an alternative to the
universe of > the Precursors.

> Thoughts?

I never really thought about it that way before.  It brings to mind the idea
that the original Klingons and Romulans were supposed to be representative
of the Russians and Chinese in some way.  (I never really understood that
one.)

I would say it's kind of depressing to think of so many aspects of humanity
as being ruled by a desire for power, though.

-J

[Sponsored by:]
The newest lyrics on the Net!