Kevin Tarr wrote:

> Of course it does. It also includes me. I've hunted with a handgun. I've
> carried one while fishing and hiking in case of snakes or rabid animals. A
> friend killed two dogs that attacked him while fishing. They weren't rabid
> but were feral.

Having a small gun with you when hunting for snakes, etc. is a very good
idea.  I mean, who's going to be hunting with a *hoe* (the usual tool
for killing a snake if it's in your yard or in the street in front of
your house)?

Not that I've been hunting, but I've spent enough time around people who
do, some of whom have had to use small arms on a rattler, to understand
the logic.

There's responsible gun culture and irresponsible gun culture.  The
former is more likely found in rural areas, the latter more likely found
in urban areas.  There are still gun deaths in rural areas, but they're
not as likely as ones in urban areas, and usually not as many are just
random.  (The notable exception I'm aware of lately was the drunk guy
who killed his buddy to keep him from driving drunk....  I think that
was Bastrop County.)

        Julia