--- "d.brin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snipped a lot>

> But I am also a father, and I do NOT want
> schoolteachers armed to the
> teeth.  I want only rifles in peoples, home, stored
> high with the
> bolts removed and locked elsewhere.  We'll have our
> second amendment
> guns... and home defense or sport or hunting. All
> other types -
> including Assault rifles and handguns, are simply
> substitute penises
> for really sad obsessive fellows.

<grimace>
I must disagree with you here; I have been in the
situation of waking to find an intruder standing in my
bedroom doorway.  Fortunately for me, I had practiced
what to do in such a case, and lunging at him while
snarling & brandishing a wicked-looking letter-opener
sent him running.  Fortunately for him, I didn't own a
gun yet; but did he later attack some unprepared or
unable woman, and rape when I might have stopped him
then?

If my car had 'died' when I was being rammed from
behind and paced on either side, nothing short of
having a loaded handgun (can't operate a rifle
effectively inside a sedan) would have saved me from
whatever those men were planning.  (repeat thanks for
that T-bird's toughness, and those who designed/built
the V-8 that allowed me to outrace those pricks)

The first incident took place just off-campus, the
second on interstate highway just outside of Dallas,
TX.  I took safety and firing instruction from an Army
officer before owning a gun, and practice ~ yearly
under competent supervision.  If someone again
attempts to harm me (or anybody near me), I will not
be defenseless.

I do think assault/automatic weapons have no place in
the civilian sphere, and I have no problems with
waiting periods, background checks, or requirements to
take safety/firing courses before being allowed to
purchase a gun.  I wouldn't even have a problem with a
psych evaluation before purchase - although that still
wouldn't eliminate those able to *act* sane, or the
black market, but it would probably cut down on some
of the crazies/emotionally immature.

Deborah Harrell