--- Jon Gabriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Behalf Of Deborah Harrell
> > >William T Goodall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Religion is extremist by nature.
> >
> > <YAWN>
> > <stre-e-etch>
> > <curl up comfortably under the lilac bush>
> >
> > Heretic Lutheran Deist Maru  :)
>

> Why Lilac?   :)

Perhaps Gandalf's or the hobbits' pipes were made of
lilac:
http://www.devonian.ualberta.ca/pwatch/lilac.htm
"‘Syringa' originates from the Greek ‘syrinx', meaning
hollow stem. One of the first common names for Syringa
vulgaris in English was ‘pipe tree', because the
straight stems made excellent pipes. The stem was used
by ancient Greek doctors to inject medications into
their patients..."

It's an "indicator plant:"
"...Both plants and insects develop in a sequence in
spring, in response to temperature. Because of this,
the bloom time of lilac or other key indicator plants
can be used to predict the best time for certain
farming activies. In Montana, alfalfa is usually ready
for its first cut one month after lilacs start to
flower. To get rid of alfalfa weevil, Montana farmers
do an early cut of alfalfa hay within 10 days of first
lilac bloom. This eliminates the weevil eggs before
they hatch. In Southern Alberta the saying is "be
ready to cut hay 40 days after the lilac flowers".
When the lilacs reach full bloom is the best time to
treat birch leaf miner on birch trees, gypsy moth
larvae on deciduous trees, and lilac borer on
lilac..."

It travels well and is hardy:
http://www.frontrangeliving.com/garden/Lilacs.htm
"...A favorite in Thomas Jefferson’s garden and a
tough plant that journeyed to Colorado with the
pioneers, old-fashioned lavender lilacs still can be
found on abandoned homesteads, along with Harison's
yellow rose and heirloom bearded irises. None is
native to North America but all have adapted to
conditions in the West..."

But most of all, I loved it as a child: the marvelous
odor from the lavender blooms, how perfect a "secret
meeting place" the lilac thicket on the crest of the
hill made, playing at Mowgli peering out from the
jungle to the houses below...

My cats like to hang out under the lilac bush out
back; it's cool, shady, and protects from sharp bird
eyes as well as silly dog noses.  ;)

Debbi