> From: Jon Gabriel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> >Oh, and the neighbor that Dan's most friendly with came over on
the
> >weekend to help Dan dispose of a snake.  Turned out to just be a
rat
> >snake, and it probably wouldn't have messed with our dogs, but
Dan
> >didn't want to take any chances.  (He doesn't know how to
identify a
> >rattler by sight, and assumes that all snakes are dangerous.  I
can
> >recognize some snakes as harmless, and he'll leave the
> little ones be on
> >my say-so.)  It was over 5' long.
>
> Five FEET?!?  Is that normal?

Black Rat Snakes can get pretty big.  I came home one day and a big
one was sunning itself on our driveway in front of the garage.
After restraining my first impulse to run it over, I poked at it
with a rake until it slithered away.  Later, I looked it up and
found it was a black rat snake.  Which, apparently, are constrictors
and are very good for keeping rodents down.  So, I'm glad I spared
it.

  - jmh