When I'd heard this, in a sleep-hazed, all-night-news
fog, I thought they'd said "Antarctic," and that they
were referring to the Larsen shelf that broke up
earlier this year.  Wrong.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/09/23/ice_arctic030923
"...RADARSAT images picked up the first sign of
cracking in April 2000. At some points the crack was
80 metres wide. Ice has floated on the sea for at
least 3,000 years...

"...Local warming since the 19th century is to blame
for the breakup. Atmospheric warming has been named a
cause of a collapsing ice shelf in the West Antarctic,
but scientists don't have enough evidence to link the
Arctic melting to global climate change..."

Debbi
Polar Bear Punch Maru