--- The Fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4.htm
> PAPER: DANGEROUSLY HIGH LEVELS OF RADIATION MEASURED
> AROUND BAGHDAD
>
> SOLDIERS and civilians in Iraq face a health
> timebomb after dangerously high levels of radiation
> were measured around Baghdad...
<snippage>
> DU rounds are highly combustible and tiny particles
> of the radioactive
> material are left on the battleground.
>
> If inhaled the material can attack the body causing
> cancers, chronic
> illness, long-term disabilities and genetic birth
> defects - none of which
> will be apparent for at least five years...

> Even the Ministry of Defence, which has consistently
> refused to accept
> there are dangers involved in DU exposure or that it
> has played role in
> Gulf War illnesses is addressing the problem.
> Soldiers returning from
> this year's conflict will be routinely tested for
> uranium poisoning.
> Professor Malcolm Hooper, who sits on two committees
> advising the
> Government on Gulf health issues, said he is not
> surprised by the radiation levels.
>
> He said: "Really these things are dirty bombs..."

A PubMed search is a little frustrating because many
of the more recent articles don't have available
abstracts; here are a few, however:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12500807&dopt=Abstract
This work is an exposure assessment for a population
living in an area contaminated by the use of depleted
uranium (DU) weapons. RESRAD 5.91 code was used to
evaluate the average effective dose at depths of 1,
10, 20 cm of contaminated soil, in a residential
farming scenario. Critical pathways and groups are
identified in soil inhalation and ingestion; critical
group is identified in children playing with the soil.
>From the available information on DU released at
targeted sites, both critical and average exposure can
produce toxicological hazards. The annual dose limit
for the population can be exceeded within a few years
from DU deposition for soil inhalation...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12500801&dopt=Abstract
Selected soil samples, collected in Kosovo locations
where DU ammunition was expended during the 1999
Balkan conflict, have been investigated...Although the
results do not permit any legitimate extrapolation to
all the sites hit by the DU rounds used during the
conflict, they indicated that there can be "spots"
where hundreds of thousands of particles may be
present in a few milligrams of DU contaminated soil.
The particle size distribution showed that most of the
DU particles were <5 microm in diameter and more than
50% of the particles had a diameter <1.5 microm.
Knowledge on DU particles is needed as a basis for the
assessment of the potential environmental and health
impacts of military use of DU, since it provides
information on possible re-suspension and inhalation.

While some studies state that "observable health
effects are not expected," this assumes no long-term
accumulation of DU in the body ("Urine, feces, hair
and nails record recent exposures to DU."):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12500797&dopt=Abstract

Experimental studies of embedded DU fragments find
that
"Additional information is needed with regard to the
short-term behavior of migrating U and its
accumulation in lymph nodes, brain, testicles, and
other infrequently studied U repositories." [such as
liver, bone and kidney]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12500806&dopt=Abstract

A 2002 Army study finds: "We conclude that, although
there is the potential for uranium exposures to cause
renal damage or lung cancer, the risk of harm
following depleted uranium exposure in military
settings seems to be low..."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12469421&dopt=Abstract

OTOH, this 2002 Bethesda study notes that "Published
data from our laboratory have demonstrated that DU
exposure in vitro to immortalised human osteoblast
cells (HOS) is both neoplastically transforming and
genotoxic...Taken together these data [which they list
in this abstract] suggest that radiation can play a
role in DU-induced biological effects in vitro."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12194305&dopt=Abstract

The Royal Society Working Group on the Health Hazards
of Depleted Uranium Munitions concluded in May 2001
that from a radiological standpoint, "Except in
extreme circumstances any extra risks of developing
fatal cancers as a result of radiation from internal
exposure to DU arising from battlefield conditions are
likely to be so small that they would not be
detectable above the general risk of dying from cancer
over a normal lifetime.

"The greatest exposures will apply only to a very
small fraction of the soldiers in a theatre of war,
for example those who survive in a vehicle struck by a
DU penetrator. In such circumstances, and assuming the
most unfavourable conditions, the lifetime risk of
death from lung cancer is unlikely to exceed twice
that in the general population..."
http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/templates/statements/statementDetails.cfm?StatementID=143

The Part II conclusions of March 2002 are summarised:
"- The risks to the kidney and other organs and
tissues from the use of DU in munitions are very low
for most soldiers on the battlefield and for those
living in the conflict area.
- In extreme conditions and under worst-case
assumptions, soldiers who receive large intakes of DU
could suffer adverse effects on the kidney and lung.
- Environmental contamination will be very variable
but in most cases the associated health risks due to
DU will be very low. In some worst-case scenarios high
local levels of uranium could occur in food or water
that could have adverse effects on the kidney."
http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/templates/statements/statementDetails.cfm?StatementID=167%20target=

Yet the first study cited above, from 2003, did find
that children who play in comtaminated soil are a
"critical group," and the second cited study above
found 'local hot spots' of soil contamination.  [Note
that there seems to be a general consensus that the
*chemical* toxicity is more of a risk than the
*radiation* effects; "...DU radiological risk would be
far overshadowed by its chemical toxicity."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12500808&dopt=Abstract

I am not including a 2002 Military Medicine study
which found DU in the urine of 14/27 samples, as I
cannot access the 'erratum' comment.  I also am not
including any articles which are not in the PubMed
database, as a Dogpile search turned up wildly
opposing views, from 'the myth of DU toxicity' to 'DU
caused my brain tumor & child with learning
disability.'  As it is, views expressed still range
from the "very low" to the following:

"...Immediate health risks associated with exposure to
depleted uranium include kidney and respiratory
problems, with conditions such as kidney stones,
chronic cough and severe dermatitis. Long-term risks
include lung and bone cancer. Several published
reports implicated exposure to depleted uranium in
kidney damage, mutagenicity, cancer, inhibition of
bone, neurological deficits, significant decrease in
the pregnancy rate in mice and adverse effects on the
reproductive and central nervous systems. Acute
poisoning with depleted uranium elicited renal failure
that could lead to death. The environmental
consequences of its residue will be felt for thousands
of years. It is inhaled and passed through the skin
and eyes, transferred through the placenta into the
fetus, distributed into tissues and eliminated in
urine...."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12015793&dopt=Abstract

I think that 'local hot spots' will cause disease in
those who live in them, but probably little otherwise;
yet the use of DU munitions in heavily populated areas
is irresponsible to me, particularly in view of
genetic damage and placental passage.  Baghdad has
thus become an experiment in DU effects, both
short-term and long-term.

Debbi