On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 01:52 am, Russell Chapman wrote:

The Fool wrote:.

My understanding is that only outlook can open these messages. Microsoft
has said it would also provide a small stand alone (DRM) app to open
messages for users of other software.

The Whole point is that it disallows other software from reading it.

The beauty of this strategy (when combined with the new formats in Office2003) is that he can wipe out several competing markets at once. By bringing DRM into email and Word/Excel documents, and requiring MS provided apps to read them, he can (and has) simply refused to provide them for competing platforms. The decision between a Palm based PDA and a PocketPC based PDA is going to be very different if suddenly you can't read your email or work with your Word and Excel documents on a PalmOS PDA, but you can on a PocketPC, so he will wipe out one of his more resilient competitors. Expect Real & Winamp to come in for the same treatment any day now, and they are on Windows platforms! Imagine what else is in store for non-Windows platforms...

'He' being the Great Satan of Redmond? :)

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing because verbing
weirds language.  Then they arrival for the nouns, and I speech
nothing because I no verbs.