--- William T Goodall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 06:43  am, Jan Coffey wrote:
> >
> > 16 bits per sample? yuck! get with the program, we are talking 24 at
> > the very
> > least and 32 if you are recording to standard mdvd. never mind the
> > format
> > wars).
> >

> 16 bits is what CDs use, so a lossless copy of a CD is 16 bit.

Yea, well, not all CD formats use 16. Some will now use 24 and the new music
dvd will use much more than that. There is no final standard yet, but some of
them are 24, 32, 64. 32 seems to be the winner though.

If you are copying data 16 bit would be lossless on a standard CD, but if you
are recording then you are processing in some way.

=====