Kevin Tarr wrote:

I'm only asking this from a business POV. There are many
things I do not know and would like some details. Let me
back up a step. I get t-shirts made for two groups I'm
involved in. I'm assuming you are not the one making
those shirts, that physically you never touch them.

Correct.

My point is: if you are only making $3, then the company
charges $14. Subtracting the cost of shipping, they are
making up to if not over 200% profit. Some of that may be
taken by their location (California), and definitely by
website costs but that is a nice margin for not doing any
extra work.

On your side is the infamous Laffer curve. You aren't
collecting taxes, but there is a relationship between what
you charge and what you'll get back. Do you expect a hundred
people to buy the shirt? Would 150 buy it if the price
dropped another dollar? (I'm assuming no on both questions.)

Yeah, you're probably right -- it's hard to imagine me getting that many sales, at least at first. My initial plan was to sell a few shirts through the site as a proof of concept, to see how they sell, before trying to get my own shirts made locally, and shipping them out myself. The first shirt isn't selling through the site so far, at least not at the current price. Some time this week, I'll see what it takes (and costs) to print shirts locally, and see if doing that can lower the price enough to help.

What does the image feel like? Is it inkjetted on or like
an iron-on?

I'm embarassed to say that I haven't tried ordering from there yet.

I just plain didn't do enough research beforehand. At least
I was careful to read the legal agreement, to make sure I get
to keep copyright on the images I upload to them (I do). I
didn't think to check out reviews of the print quality. What
I've found doesn't sound too good, like this epinions.com
review of the store:

http://www.epinions.com/content_67901361796

"FABRIC ITEMS NEED IMPROVEMENT: The fabric items are much like
the print-at-home and iron-on products you can buy locally.
They only have white and ash shirts because the design is
printed on a white heat-applied fabric. It's not professional
looking, in my opinion. I've ordered the boxers and t-shirts
and while I think they're a great idea, they need more work
to be worth the money."

The reviewer does seem to really like the quality of other
items like mugs and ceramic tiles. Maybe I should concentrate
on those.

Charities, what about the WWF? Their expenditures are high,
but I don't give them money so no harm no foul.

It's certainly one to research, at least.

Thanks.
Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
Science Fiction-themed online store ..... http://www.sloan3d.com/store
Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com