Trent said:

> If there is a wormhole and one extrinsic observer experiences 10 years
> of subjective time and another extrinsic observer experiences 1000
> years of subjective time then the wormhole must experience no less
> than 1000 years of subjective time.

What you've written is somewhat confused. Suppose there are two
"wormhole clocks", Inside_1 and Inside_2, happily ticking away in the
two mouths of the wormhole and two "exterior clocks", Outside_1 and
Outside_2, ticking in the vicinity of the wormhole mouths. (This idea of
"inside" and "outside" the wormhole is only an approximation!) Suppose
further I stand by Outside_1. If I look into the wormhole, I see
Inside_1 ticking at the same rate as my clock, Outside_1. If I look
right through the wormhole, I see Inside_1, Inside_2 and Outside_2
ticking at the same rate as my clock, Outside_1.

Now, suppose I train a powerful telescope on the ship carrying the
second mouth. I then see Outside_2 running slowly with respect to my
clock. Suppose further that the ship has set up a system of mirrors that
let me use my telescope to look back through the wormhole. Then I see
Inside_2 running at the same rate as Outside_2, which is to say slowly
with respect to the clock sitting right next to me. But if I look more
carefully, I also see Inside_1 running slowly with respect to my clock.
Even more surprisingly, if I look through my telescope and the mirrors
back through the wormhole at my own clock, I see it running more slowly
than I do if I look at the clock sitting right next to me!

All of this might be surprising, but it's not in any way paradoxical.
It's just a consequence of relativity. The clocks can't tick out of sync
with their own reference frames, because it's their ticking that defines
the reference frames! Everything is fine as long as the two reference
frames are in uniform motion with respect to each other. When the ship
turns around and heads home, the problem arises. There will come a point
at which a temporal loop forms. It's conjectured by people much smarter
than me that quantum effects will collapse the wormhole just as this
happens, so that causality can't be violated and so your warning from
the future scenario isn't possible.

The Orion's Arm idea of "empire time" arises from this restriction on
the movement of wormholes. They think that the times of all the
wormholes get locked together by the restrictions becoming more and more
severe as more wormholes get added to the system. I'm not sure whether
this is actually the case, but I haven't thought about the problem in
any great depth.

Rich