David Hobby wrote:

> At the end of it, half of them say things like "a cubic
> meter is a liter, which weighs a gram".

While we're already talking about changing our number systems,
maybe we should change metric to make that true, because those
definitions make a *lot* more sense than the real ones. :-)

Honestly, why the heck is a liter defined as a cubic
*decimeter*? Granted, a cubic meter would make an awfully big
base unit of volume, but it wouldn't really be any more awkward
than a gram, which is too *small* to be really useful in everyday
life. If the metric units weren't so awkwardly sized, there would
be no need for two different sets of metric base units, cgs (cm,
grams, seconds) and SI (meters, kilograms, seconds). Each set has
to fudge one of the units by a factor of 1000 to get it to play
well together with the other unit.
Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
Science Fiction-themed online store ..... http://www.sloan3d.com/store
Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com