Debbie wrote-
>From a modern medical standpoint, children drinking
> alcohol is detrimental, as alcohol is a neurotoxin;
> developing brains are more vulnerable than adult
> brains (and since our brains are still remodeling
> quite a bit through age ~21yr, college kids
> binge-drinking is harmful).  But from a survival
> standpoint, it was sensible to for all to drink
> (watered) wine, as decent drinking water was not
> often > available to our ancestors, and
> cholera/typhoid/polio etc. etc. were frequently
> fatal.  <shrug>  After all,
> how many brain cells do you need to do
> near-subsistance agricultural labor?  (As opposed to
> more skilled labor, or reading/writing.)

Well out of my league on the effects of alcohol on kids,
but this reminded me of something I read last week.
Work has me reading/working through the book-
"Now, Discover Your Strengths"  which has a section
on why people should develop and excel in their
strengths (versus offsetting their weaknesses-
unless they interfere with your strengths).  There
is a part of the book that talks about how the brain
of a 2ish month old infant grows synapses at an
incredible rate until about 6 months.  Until age
3 synapses learn to communicate, but then
"neglected" synapses start to "fall into disrepair"-
such that half are gone by age 16.

I wonder how alcohol in small sips, or even
with meals would effect this?  Might be hard to sort
it all out........ Zim are you out there?  Don't feel
like a Medline search.

Dee
btw, the book is good and the online test is
part of the price of the book, pretty cool.....
more in depth and not "opposites" based like the
Myers-Briggs