I just recently read Stephen Baxter's first two Manifold books
(Manifold: Time and Manifold:Space).  I'm wondering if anyone here
read them and what they thought of them.

For me, overall I was rather disappointed - enough so that I probably
won't bother with Manifold: Origin.   Fortunately, I can do that
without missing "how it ends", because these books seem to be
alternate universe stories where some of the characters stay the same,
but (very) different & unrelated things happen.  The book cover
descriptions don't make that clear at all.

I found the science and many of the ideas pretty compelling at times,
particularly in the first book (Manifold: Time), making it hard to put
down at points.  But the first ending fell flat for me, and by the
middle of the second book I was starting to get annoyed (and its
ending also fell flat, IMHO).

A few other comments:

Potential spoilers warning!
Potential spoilers warning!
Potential spoilers warning!
Potential spoilers warning!

- The first book starts in 2010, but inexplicably features technology
and governmental changes (ie: smart cars/highways, the sea floor
stuff, uplifted squid, California with its borders (the inter-state
ones!) closed to non-whites) that seem quite out of place for such a
near future setting.  (They book is copyright 2000, but even if he
wrote it in, say 1996, a lot of this stuff seems more 2050-ish (at
best)  than 2010-ish.)  Why set a hard-SF book in such a near future
if you're going to posit things that belong much further out.

- The whole uplifted squid descending for a single parent colonizing
the asteroid and then the Jupiter ones with billions of population
bugged the heck out of me in too many ways to bother going into.  Feh.

- The endless NASA-bashing started to bug me - I wonder if the NASA
guy he thanks in Manifold:Time knew he was going to do that (and later
go grief for it from his coworkers) or if he was disgruntled himself
and that's where Baxter got it from.  Not that I think NASA is
perfect, but Baxter makes it seem like hugely ambitious, but near
flawless space missions can be slapped together in months from spare
parts.  Baxter's books were written pre-Columbia but even so the
world's space mission failure rate is high enough to put a lie to
that.

- The biggest thing that bothered me, though, was Baxter's totally
apathetic and just plain pathetic depiction of humanity's reaction to
the events in space:  Alien artifact on a near-earth asteroid?
"Yawn."  Aliens colonizing/exploiting the asteroid belt?  "Ho-hum."
Aliens on earth performing mysterious genetic experiments?  "Who
cares."    WTF?  In the first book some of this apathy is (weakly)
explained by the (improbable) Carter-catastrophe hysteria and the
inexplicably precise 200 year apocalypse forecast.  In the second
book, though, there's not even that - it's just that no one except the
few main characters cares.

- Bryon