If it's science at all, it's a very fluffy kind of science.

Ten or fifteen years ago, I gave Kiersey style Myers-Briggs tests to a
dozen people I knew.  I felt the results were accurate in about 7 of
those 12 cases.  So I decided it was pretty good for this kind of
topic (and no good at all if you seek only 25% error.)

What is the probability of 7 out of 12 people each choosing 1 out of
16 randomly?

I tend to doubt the Forer effect is highly important for Myers-Briggs,
although doubtless, it is somewhat important.

(According to

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

    The Forer effect ... is the observation that individuals will give
    high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that
    supposedly are tailored specifically for them, but are in fact
    vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people.

(The article also gives Forer's text.)

Here are the first two paragraphs of 2 of 16 MBTI profiles from
http://www.typelogic.com/; they seem to me quite different.  When
given a choice of which to choose, I doubt an ESFJ would choose to be
described as an INTP although he or she might well choose a
description closer to his or her temperament.

        Guardians of birthdays, holidays and celebrations, ESFJs are
        generous entertainers.  They enjoy and joyfully observe
        traditions and are liberal in giving, especially where custom
        prescribes.

        All else being equal, ESFJs enjoy being in charge.  They see
        problems clearly and delegate easily, work hard and play with
        zest. ESFJs, as do most SJs, bear strong allegiance to rights
        of seniority.  They willingly provide service (which embodies
        life's meaning) and expect the same from others.

vrs

        INTPs are pensive, analytical folks. They may venture so
        deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually
        are oblivious to the world around them.

        Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct
        others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a
        bit off.  While annoying to the less concise, this fine
        discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural
        advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8