Well, McClellan was the first one to come to mind to me.  But, there are
also a number of generals who had little or no military experience before
being appointed.  Among them are Butler, Banks, McClernand, Fremont, and
Sigel.  I obtained the latter list from

http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/jala/21.1/simpson.html

which argued that the latter were the real political generals.

By 1864, generals who could win were selected more often.  As the essay
points out as a counter to the political general argument, these victorious
generals influenced the election...even though the direct political
motivation for appointing them was not significant.  But, I think this
actually proves the point...Lincoln saw the bigger picture and did what was
needed to kept the Union.

Dan M.