JDG wrote:

Of course your found it intriguing.  I am sure it is a very comforting
bedtime story that Democrats are smart and Republicans stupid, and
that if everyone had access to the truth, then we'd all be Democrats.

I don't think its a matter of smart or stupid as much as a tendency to filter information such that it supports an established POV. Do you have a critique of the poll [http://astro.berkeley.edu/~aleroy/Report10_21_04.pdf] that establishes that its results are biased or wrong? The above post implies that it is complete fiction.

From tha analysis of the poll:

"Another possible explanation is that Bush supporters cling to these beliefs because they are necessary for their support for the decision to go to war with Iraq. Asked whether the US should have gone to war with Iraq if US intelligence had concluded that Iraq was not making WMD or providing support to al Qaeda, 58% of Bush supporters said the US should not have, and 61% assume that in this case the president would not have. To support the president and to accept that he took the US to war based on mistaken assumptions is difficult to bear, especially in light of the continuing costs in terms of lives and money. Apparently, to avoid this cognitive dissonance, Bush supporters suppress awareness of unsettling
information."

--
Doug