On 7/22/06, Gary Denton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You can say it's not human if you like, but genetically you are just
> wrong.  It is distinctly human and not of any other living species.
> Furthermore, it is alive.  If it were not, there would be no need to
> kill it. --JWR

It is not a free-standing individual but is at the stage of a
symbiotic parasite.   My definition of live human begins at a  later
stage.

If there is a God, I wonder where his definition of a live human being
begins, and does he feel it is morally OK for each of us to have our own
personal definition that is different from his?  Is there any way to find
out without merely guessing or theorizing?  If we place the point at which
the organism is "viable," and can survive outside the womb without a
mother's love and care, then we deny the label "human" to many children and
even some adults.  Perhaps we should just kill every human organism that is
helpless and cannot sustain itself.  It would certainly solve a lot of the
problems with the elderly, the homeless, the handicapped, and the starving
poor of Africa and North Korea.  I'm not sure that even atheists and
agnostics would find that morally acceptable, although I cannot imagine why
not.  From my perspective, God is the source of all moral law.  And if there
is no God, or if his will is unknowable, then all things are equally moral.
And to be more precise, the concept of morality ceases to exist.  Of course,
that is just from my perspective.  People think and believe in a marvelous
variety of ways.  It seems to be as much a unique quality for each
individual as his face or his fingerprints.  We love to think that our
attitudes are all the result of reason, logic and carefully though out
positions.  But my observation over 61 years indicates to me that people
don't even know why they feel and believe as they do.  It is all determined
by mental processes that take place far deeper than that part of the mind
which we are aware of or have conscious control of.  And happiness for each
individual depends on how well we are able to live according to what we
really believe on this deeper, involuntary level.  People who outrage their
inner most convictions, the ones we are not even aware of on a conscious
level, can never be happy and often end up either suicidal or
self-destructive or both.

Just to be on the safe side, I personally opt for preserving all human life
from a zygote to a completely senile person well over a hundred years of
age. Why kill them?  They are going to die anyway.  Every living thing
does.  All we have to do is be more patient.  That some are unwilling to
wait for natural death seems morally risky to me.  Some women who abort
their children never recover emotionally but spend the rest of their lives
agonizing over the choice they made.  And this is undoubtedly true
regardless of what stage of development the unborn child was.  Not being a
woman who has ever aborted an unborn child, I cannot speak from experience.
But I imagine that for some women recovering from a youthful and foolish
decision to get an abortion is like trying to recover from sexual child
molestation.  There is a sense in which all of us are children and always
will be.

John W.
Redelfs
[EMAIL PROTECTED]