In a message dated 7/24/2006 11:05:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

There is  an argument that as they are independent and an immortal
cell line,  that they could be considered an example of a speciation
event, but  all that means is that we've chosen to call them something
for  convenience and to distinguish them from other clumps of human
cells. They are indeed human cells. Very interesting ones, but
indisputably human

I would think that by the standard definition of a species a cell line
cannot qualify. A species is a group of individuals who can or do interbreed. I

don't know how a cell culture can qualify a species.