http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

From: "Alberto Monteiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Subject: History of Racism [was: To the Back of the Bus!]
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:47:13 -0200

(snip)

"But was there _racism_ in Ancient times, except the basic "we
are the people, the other are animals"?

Well, there was the basic "We're Greeks and you are merely Barbarians." Followed by "The only people who can be citizens of this city are those born to citizen fathers and the daughters of citizens, so there! You're nothing but a lousy furriner!"

It's not really racism because it's so much more inclusive than that. Instead of setting apart one race and drawing a circle around it and saying "You're out and everyone else is in," they drew a circle around themselves and said "We're in and everyone else is out."

Rome, OTH, once they got over the Social Wars, got pretty inclusive. Though "Greek" and "slave" got to be pretty synonymous, or why even Gauls and Africans often had Greek-sounding names. Until they were freed and took their former owners' name and then had Latin-sounding names. (until the edge of the dark ages when they had medieval-sounding names such as, e.g., Augustine of Hippo.)