DanM said:

> I think the most critical question involved is the understanding of the
> transcendental:  Truths that are true, whether or not they are believed
> by humans, or even whether they are perceived by humans; Reality that
> exists apart from our perception.

But that seems like an especially useless position. If we're discussing
which things are good and which are evil then believing that there are
transcendental truths doesn't help at all if different people have
different positions on what those truths actually are. So far as I can
tell you're reduced either to an argument from authority (whether that
of a priesthood, a holy book, one or more historical figures, or the
"general sentiments of society") or an argument from what makes you feel
all warm and fuzzy inside. At best, I suppose, you can argue that some
of those priesthoods, holy books, historical figures or warm and fuzzy
feelings are divinely inspired rather than ultimately reducing just to
opinion, but once again we can argue endlessly about exactly which of
those things are touched by the ineffable mystery of the transcendental.

Rich