From: "John W Redelfs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 04:07:33
To:"Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Subject: Re: The Morality of Killing Babies

On 9/8/06, Alberto Monteiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> John W Redelfs wrote:
> >
> > So what?  In the USA people need to eat less anyway.  And globally,
> there
> > needs to be a reduction in population that could most easily be
> > effected by widespread starvation.  People extol the virtues of
> > abortion and birth control, but doesn't starvation, disease and war
> > control over population just as well?
> >
> No.
>
> Starvation and War have, historically, made no impact on the
> growth of population - probably they even had the opposite effect.
> And disease should be quite devastating - like AIDS in Africa -
> to have a significant effect.

Well, when you consider that mankind has been around during historical times
for over 6,000 years, and when you consider that accurate census data has
only been available for a little of a hundred years, and when you consider
that such data has been available only in those parts of the world where
there are accurate censuses taken, I find it hard to take your above
assertion seriously.  How could you or anyone possibly know?  I may be
wrong, because I do not have a lot of confidence in history, but it is my
understanding that the One Hundred Years War that took place in Europe
following the Protestant Reformation had a huge impact on the population of
Europe for many decades.  Historical records seem to indicate that the Black
Death of the 14th Century had an enormous impact.  Some reputable
paleoanthropologists who have made a life's study of prehistoric America now
believe that when Europeans made first contact with the natives of America,
that smallpox preceded them everywhere they went and was responsible for the
relative emptiness of the Americas which actually had a much larger
population than has been previously thought.  But you may be right.  I just
have no confidence that you are.

John W. Redelfs                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]