On 22 Sep 2006 at 8:22, David Brin wrote:

> Only a small minority seemed at all interested in even
> looking at my core idea, which was how to create a
> nice, comfortable starting point for millions of kids,
> so they could use their computers to do a little
> COMPUTING for mild classroom assignments, and so get a
> taste of this way of looking at the world.

If the examples are writtern in modern BASIC, then why not? That'll
with with a range of modern BASICs up to and including FreeBASIC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBASIC

If it's not writtern in modern BASIC, then I have no sympathy. People
don't number lines anymore. People don't use goto's. Teaching a chuld
the wrong fundermental basics of coding is not a good idea.

Actually, personally I'd recommend Pascal, especially for dyslexic
children - the syntax is considered far more natural by many.

http://www.freepascal.org/

> 3) Many readers are so enthusiastic for PYTHON... and

Personally I detest it. I'm a scriptor, not a coder. I have some
Pascal skills, but i've mostly worked with Lua and varients, as well
as visual scripting languages (partial and full), the powerful and
propriatory SRealmsScript and so on.

I don't like the useage of indenting it uses, it misses a lot of
libraries I've used with php and it doesn't do automatic garbage
collection (I admit that one usually bites me, Lua and SRealmsScript
spoilt me in that regard).

> Indeed, Python is so widely available, that the goal
> might be achieved simply via some kind of
> DECLARATION... say by a prominent education
> association... declaring support for a Python-based
> universal entry-level environment.  If

Can't be just python. It doesn't compile natively, and has no native
GUI. Something to keep in mind, anyway.

If Lua ever gives up on being a scripting language and becomes a
fully fledged programing language, then frankly it has just the
potential you want to see.

It's very powerful, free-as-in-free (it's used in a number of high
profile commercial games for scripting) and the syntax is easy to
learn for coders and non-coders alike

print "Hello, world"

http://www.lua.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_programming_language