Jon wrote

It will  create
> a system devoid of the give and take of consumers  shopping
> around trying
> to find the best supplier for what they  need at the best
> price, and suppliers
> competing and  innovating to provide the consumers what they
> need. Instead
>  the government will oversee some bloated,  generalized menu
> of  products
> that does not meet the needs of many consumers and  offers
> little incentive
> for the suppliers to innovate to meet  the needs of the
> consumers.

While I think innovation is lovely, there is another evolution you may not  be
aware of- Community based research networks.  Instead of one  group
doing research over time with relatively slow advances, groups work
collaboratively.  The great example is the 6ish cancer research  networks
in this country- instead of taking years to research  drugs/methodology,
multiple hospitals gather info on large groups of diverse client  populations
in a short time and more rapid advances can be made.  It is a pretty  neat
alternative to more competitive medicine that was trending  "proprietary".

Dee

5 Travel Deals!