John wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Doug Pensinger<brig...@zo.com> wrote:
>
> > Absolutely not, but isn't that how the free market works; the people with
> > money/power decide what's in the best interest of the people they
> control?
>
> People they control? Huh? Politicians and regulators control people.
> Free market allows people to choose for themselves.

So if there was some vital benefit to society and it couldn't be provided
without a financial loss, how would the free market provide it?

> > Then we have the ringing success of the U.S. health care system to tell
> us
> > how well the free market works for sick people.
>
> The US health care system is not a free market. Medicare and Medicaid
> make up more than 50% of US health care spending, so the majority of
> the US health care system is government controlled.

And why isn't it a free market?  What is the free market mechanism that
provides _all_ of the citizens of one of the the worlds wealthiest nations
with health care?

Doug