John  wrote:

> I have a Kindle DX. I'm pleased with the display size and contrast. I
> am less than pleased at the navigation, which is klunky, but I knew
> that before I bought it.
>
> I don't read any newspapers on it, since I tend to get my news from
> the web with a computer. I read mostly fiction on it. My library of
> paper books takes up a lot of space, and I wanted to reduce its size,
> or at least stop its growth. Unfortunately, few of the science fiction
> books in my library are available in Kindle format, less than 1 in 5.
> Fortunately, most new releases come out in Kindle now, but often
> delayed some time after the hard cover is released.
>
> I'm not sure why your download is taking a long time, unless it is a
> problem with the NYT system. When I download books over the cell
> network ("Whispernet"), it generally only takes a few seconds, never
> more than a minute. My Kindle is able to get a 3G connection with 4 or
> 5 bars in my home. Does yours have a similar signal?

They talked about the whispernet in the instructions I've read so far, but I
didn't realize exactly what it was.  Before I got the thing I assumed that
downloading was via the computer/net.  Silly me.  I just downloaded a book
and it seemed to load pretty quickly.

Is there any free content?  The instructions said there was some sort of pdf
translation software but implied that it wasn't free and that it didn't
always work right.  It also said something about being able to load your own
documents.

Doug
RTFM maru