> Just by accumulating books you won't become a wizard, otherwise all librarians
> become Faradays :). You've to study them. The network they provisioned to me
> was half duplex and on a broadcast domain. I used to run IPv6 radvd in my
> network, and I announced it on their interface and within minutes everyone is
> showing their ICMPv6 love to me :). I can tcpdump and I see everyone's traffic
> on my interface. Looks like they put it into a hub.
>
> And then there is Airtel, who has it's own tale ;). So it is not about
> accumulating devices but knowing that best configuration for the job.

You are missing a crucial point here. Every ISP has to combine a
number of devices from a number of vendors who dont want to see the
faces of the competition.

If they rely on one vendor, they'll become slaves of it. So, they have
to build a multi-vendor architecture practically.

'Interoperability'  is biggest challenge among all those devices. I
remember how Alcatel was showing us their end to end solutions for
almost anything back to back with its own core and edge devices. when
we asked them to connect to mini replica of our core and metro rings,
they JUST REFUSED. They said they cant guarantee performance if their
devices interface with others in the core or access rings :) And this
is just one instance.

Every ISP has some problem with some part of their network. Reliance
has one of the fastest core. They even had a successful IPTV project
way back in 2001 :) that too with the legendary Mohan Tambe ( I hope
you know him). That does not mean that OSS segment may not work badly.
Yes, there were problems with Nortel Clarify and even 8800 boxes.

All because interoperability test reports of these vendors is nothing
but a bunch of nonsense.

> Could be, but they chose Linux. I reported no. of bugs with the IPv6 code. I
> think the problem with BSDs, is they've less and overloaded-with-work
> developers and thus less eyeballs...
>
> Linux kernel has probably more contributors than BSDs, and more sponsors. Most
> of the people work with FreeBSD do it in there free time, though there are
> some lucky ones who get paid to work on FreeBSD :)

I asked Ibrahim Haddad - the leader of 'Carrier Grade Linux' project -
Do you intend to give competition to JUNOS? He said - we intend to
give competition to Solaris :)

Who is paying Alexey Kuznetsov for doing IP stack in Linux Kernel?
What is the use of EPFL doing RSVP in Linux when no ISP can use a
Linux code for pure 'end-to-end' thing. More chances are there for
having BSD/BSD derived codes working in their core and edge devices.

BSD TCP/IP got parents like Bill Joy, Von Jacobson, Sally Floyd and
many more. All of their research speaks of nothing but BSD based
systems. TCP/IP was born in BSD and even benchmarked in BSD. The
documentation of Linux IP does not have even the 'discussions' which
formed the basis of their TCP/IP. What we find are direct coder's
views at LKML and all those point to ultimately the things done in the
BSD world.

> Right, but you started with blind accusations.

If you wish, I'll come up every time with example now. Though they
were not blind, but a gist of experiences.

> freebsd.org!ashish | http://people.freebsd.org/~ashish/

why just 3 lines there :)
You have not mentioned about your area of work. I could learn more from you.

Mohit Singh