As I was severely bitten by this issue lately, this caught my
interest, but the "bug" reported in this so-called advisory is in fact not
a bug at all.  Observe:

>int wmprintf(const char *format, ...)    /* <--- INTERESTING FUNCTION */
>{
>       char buffer[1024];
>       va_list ap;
>
>       va_start(ap, format);
>       vsnprintf(buffer, sizeof(buffer)-1, format, ap); // <- INTERESTING

     This does pass a (potentially) non-constant string as the format
string to vsnprintf(), but (at least from the examples provided) wmprintf()
is always called with a constant format string, so this isn't a problem.

>       va_end(ap);
>       send(wmsocket, buffer, strlen(buffer), 0);

     If this were a *printf() call, then we'd have problems, but all it's
doing is writing the buffer to the socket--no formatting interpretation
involved.

     As an example, let's expand one of the calls, assuming the %s
parameter is "NASTY %sTRING":

>wmprintf("USER %s\r\n", wmusername);
--> wmprintf("USER %s\r\n", "NASTY %sTRING");

>int wmprintf(const char *format, ...)
>{
--> format == "USER %s\r\n"
>       char buffer[1024];
--> buffer == undefined
>       va_list ap;
--> ap == undefined

>       va_start(ap, format);
--> ap == &"NASTY %sTRING"
>       vsnprintf(buffer, sizeof(buffer)-1, format, ap); // <- INTERESTING
--> buffer == "USER NASTY %sTRING\r\n"
>       va_end(ap);
--> ap == undefined
>       send(wmsocket, buffer, strlen(buffer), 0);
--> send(wmsocket, "USER NASTY %sTRING\r\n", 20, 0);
>//     logdata (">> %s", buffer);
--> logdata(">> %s", "USER NASTY %sTRING");
>       return 0;
>}

     The author is even careful enough to use logdata("%s",buffer) instead
of logdata(buffer), which is the careless mistake I made and had pointed
out to me.

     Nothing to see here, move along.

>======[ Example
>
>Can't test this bug!!!
>If I'm wrong about this format string bug in Null Webmail, I'm very sorry.

  --Andrew Church
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    http://achurch.org/