MC> The problem is that the server on the Win2K machine will be running with
MC> SYSTEM privileges.  The purpose of the Guest logon is to drop those
MC> elevated privileges, so as to minimize the consequences if a bad guy
MC> should find a way to corrupt the server.

Okay, thanks for the explanation! I see, sort of... ;) Is it not possible to
drop these privileges under win2000, or has it just not been written into
system_login() yet for this platform? Or, why not make it possible to run
ipop3d as a "normal" user? I tried running it as this (just by starting it
up via normal command line), with same "USER host:user" format, but it
doesn't seem to work (ERR bad login) - I guess normal users don't have
access to the net sockets or something? Is there some other access
limitation that would make the proxy route not work with a normal-user
process? IOW, Why does ipop3d have to run as system in the first place when
only doing this proxying?

Anyway, I know UNIX would be better, but I don't have any choice but to run
it on Win2k - I don't have a UNIX server to set this up on... Even if I did,
my secure line to my IMAP server necessarily goes directly from my laptop
(port forwarding via SSH), so there's no way I could use another (UNIX)
machine inbetween there. (What's really happening is that I'm using ipop3d
to proxy e-mail from the local POP port to the local IMAP port.)

- Paul

--
   Paul A.   |        NCBI / NIH