In tracking down why one of our servers was hammering an NIS
server, I found that it was nearly continuously enumerating
the groups map, which is fairly large.

I believe this is because of the initgroups call in
src/osdep/unix/log_std.c.  This call makes sense in an IMAP
context but I can't see a need for it in a POP context,
and of course POP connections are far more frequent.

(a) am I missing something, and
(b) assuming I want to get rid of it in the POP server, is there an
    elegant way to patch this so I don't have to do two separate builds
    (one for pop, one for imap)?

Thanks -
Steve