*** Mark Crispin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote on Oct 21, 2003:

:) On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Eduardo Chappa wrote:
:) >   One question, though. If your hunch is correct, I see that
:) > LockFileEx is only implemented on Windows NT, 2000 and XP, so how
:) > does this patch work in Windows 98?
:)
:) There is no such thing as meaningful file locking in Windows 98.
:) Win98 is not a real operating system.
:)
:) But it is also very doubtful that one is going to be running IMAP
:) servers on Windows 98; or multiple instances of Pine on the same
:) mailbox.

Hi Mark,

  I agree with your first statement, but not the second one. There is no
way I can predict what a user will do when using Pine, and you must know
very well that ignoring a possible case is one of the main reasons why
users report bugs, so I would like to offer a full featured (or as much
complete as possible)  software for people in Cygwin. This means that if
they want simultaneous access to a mailbox, they'll need to get it if the
format of the mailbox allows it. I see no reason why PC-Pine and Cygwin
Pine could not be exchanged one for the other.

  I believe it's a priority to offer access to mbx folders to any user of
Pine/imapd/popXd, for any version of Windows, and that's the trick that
must be done.

  So my question still stands, does this patch work for Windowx 9X?, can
anyone confirm or deny this?

  Thank you,

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/