Hi again Simon,

Few points, If you run Windows 10 (Pro?), you can setup to make symlinks without needing administrator privileges. I used https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/Symbolic-Links guide. Unfortunately I don't remember all the details I did (i.e. if the guide is complete), but enabling Developer Mode is easy to forget.

About installing and symlinking:
- `cabal update-config` should populate your ~/.cabal/config with new default configuration. which will have install-dir: there too. You can also manually edit it to add the new configuration option. - Most of install woes are fixed in March [1], but there weren't a release with those fixes.

- [1] https://github.com/haskell/cabal/pull/5870

Cheers,
Oleg