Hi everyone

You will find below the minutes of the Cabal meeting that was held on the
03/08/2023.
This meeting occurs every two weeks and is absolutely open to developers,
newcomers and stakeholders. Do contact the dev team if you want an
invitation to the event.

---

## 3.10.2.0 patch release

Hécate: The pipeline situation seems to have been fixed, as such Mikołaj &
I are able to run GitLab pipelines for cabal. I suggest that once the
following PRs are merged, the release process (including security fixes)
resume. I'd ideally like it to be done by next week.

* https://github.com/haskell/cabal/pull/9088

## 3.12.1.0 major release

Hécate: In accordance with the planned schedule of GHC 9.8, we would like
to perform
a major release at the end of August. This would be a good idea to highly
promote
cabal-head nightlies and make sure that the 3.12.1.0 release is already
used by people
in all but name before we formally create the tag and publish the binaries.

(f-a et al.): Things we should warn users about:
- `cabal check`: cabal now warns about missing upper bounds. I have a PR
ready to address
  this (ignore some checks) but #8427 needs to be merged first.

## Other topics

### Yvan

* I have a working `flake.nix` and `shell.nix` that declare my dev
environment to work on Cabal, do you think I should share it in a PR?
* I was about to write a detailed issue where I explain why
https://cabal.readthedocs.io/en/latest/nix-integration.html doesn't work at
all (or it's very poorly documented and I don't understand how to properly
use it). Instead of fixing it, I'm in favor of removing it because I think
it's overall not a good idea to have this kind of integration.
  * Hécate: Action Item: We should take the pulse of the community for a
couple of releases. We should point to https://nixos.wiki/wiki/Haskell for
transition.
* If time permits, I also wanted to have feedback on my currently open PRs
https://github.com/haskell/cabal/pulls/yvan-sraka.