Hi Cactus users,

Xuan Thang Nguyen has been working on the Cargo (http://cargo.codehaus.org)
integration with Cactus lately. He's done an excellent job and he is now
proposing a new Cactus Ant integration.

Basically what we want to do is get rid of all the code sitting in the
Cactus source repository that has to do with J2EE container manipulation:
configuration of containers, start, stop, deployment of J2EE modules, etc.

All this is now provided by the Cargo project (which is a spinoff of Cargo).
The reason we did Cargo is because this J2EE manipulation code is
potentially useful even for people not using Cargo.

One design goal that Xuan has followed was to make the call to the Cargo Ant
tasks transparent to Cactus users. The reason is that we want you to benefit
directly whenever Cargo releases a new version, or a patch. If we had
wrapped the Cargo calls in a Cactus-specific code we would have needed to
release a Cactus version whenever Cargo changes.

This has led to the design described on:
http://tinyurl.com/82m64 (You should also read http://tinyurl.com/duw8n).

We'd love to get feedback from you.

We're about to commit all this in the Cactus source repository so now is the
time to voice your opinion (be it positive or negative).

All this will be available in Cactus 1.8.

Let us know what you think

Thank you
-Vincent