Have you tried changing the mod rewrite stuff to something really
simple like a redirect just to see if that part is getting called.  It
does seem that your issue is that the mod rewrite is not working, if
you have access the the server config maybe try turning up the
loggging for mod rewrite and see if you can get any insight
 Or get on the irc channel and ask some of the big brains there

Sam D