This is noted in the manual
in the tutorial

http://manual.cakephp.org/chapter/18

and the sections for controller and model

http://manual.cakephp.org/chapter/6 and http://manual.cakephp.org/chapter/7

On 5/14/06, Samuel DeVore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I would make sure that in the controller class and in the model you define the $name var

like

var $name = 'Tryout';

in the model and

var $name = 'Tryouts';

in the controller

On 5/14/06, moob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

I just installed CakePHP 1.0.1.2708 and followed the blog tutorial to
get an idea of what CakePHP is all about. Although installation and the
blog tut. went fine, I cannot get any data from the database. I do not
get any errors.

After setting the debug level to 3, I see that the variable that should
contain the data retrieved from the database is empty. A test variable
which I created in the controller, $this->set('tryout',"This is a
test"); can be viewed in the view via 'echo "Tryout is ".$tryout'. No
problem here.

Connecting via the commandline to the database and performing a query
on it, as the user configured in CakePHP, works.

Is it because this version of CakePHP only works with PHP5 ? (still use
PHP4 myself)

Regards
Moob