> A good javascript lib would give access to the
> httpRequest.setRequestHeader() function as part of the standard
> methods. Dojo and YUI certainly do. I'm not sure how this affects this
> discussion, but the developers of Dojo seem to be very keen not to
> lock their I/O into any particular transport  - browser based
> httpRequest is just one that Dojo supports. Yui is much more browser
> oriented.

That's interesting about Dojo.  What other transport methods does it
support?  You have to keep in mind though, that Cake is oriented
towards browser-based applications, which automatically constrains your
thinking in many respects, one of which is the use of XHR as the
transport mechanism of choice.

> And conventions are hard to guess.  In Cake I'm discovering new ones
> every day that aren't  mentioned in the documentation. Maybe the page
> in the manual dealing with conventions
> (http://manual.cakephp.org/chapter/22) will grow to be more detailed
> through our contibutions.

Yes, sometimes they are not immediately obvious.  If you find something
that you think should be documented, but you can't find it in the
manual, by all means, open a ticket (trac.cakephp.org).  We already
have an impressive list of doc tickets going ;-)