in your model file you could create your own save function that has a default $whitelist that then gets passed to the parent::save()

Sam D

While, I feel a little less sheepish for not having noticed that if
these guys didn't either. I'm going to have to print out the api for my
bedtime reading :-)

I'm still not sure I like that solution best... when my user model
contains 40-some fields, I'd rather not be passing arrays of that size
around, when I could just blacklist the few fields I don't want
writable... I'll be thinking about the beforeValidate and limitFields
options.

Thanks for the input, guys.

chris