Okay i got it working now. The result coming from the model/database is
encoded as something different then UTF-8. Therefore utf8_encode() will
do the job.

The thing is i am a bit confused now. The pages rendered by cake are
not UTF-8 but seem to be something like ISO-8859-1. I would like to go
all UTF-8. How can i do this? Is there a setting to fetch the data from
the model in UTF-8? Is there anything to read and learn in regard to
encoding and cake?

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.