In cake speak a component is a class used to contain common code for many controllers, I'm not sure this is what you are talking about

http://manual.cakephp.org/chapter/9   - components

Is is possible you are thinking of a need for $this->requestAction ('/controller/action/',$params)

referenced in the section on controllers?
http://manual.cakephp.org/chapter/7

Sam D