I have been interested in Content Management Systems since I first
encountered Modx back in 2011 while taking over a web development project.
The problem is I have found that most CMS products do too much for the
developer in my opinion. My point of view of content management systems
shifted after using the Umbraco CMS at my current job. Umbraco provides
many of the tools required to build and manage websites, but they leave
most of the heavy lifting to the developer. Unfortunately, Umbraco requires
Microsoft Windows and most of the web environments I work in are Unix
based.

After several attempts to confidently develop using the PHP based CMSs
Joomla, Drupal, and Modx, I gave up and decided to build my own using the
CakePHP framework. After three months of development I published this post
on the bakery
http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/icompuiz/2012/03/28/toastycms_a_cms_for_people_who_love_bread_that_is_baked_twice_1
 describing
the project. That was the first version which can be found on GitHub here
https://github.com/icompuiz/ToastyCMSv1

After a year or so and several production website, I began my second
attempt at ToastyCMS. This one would use learnings from the previous
version, other CMSs I've used, the Croogo project, and Umbraco to build a
general case CMS. Three months of design and development resulted in a new
ToastyCMS, code named French Toast. The source can be found on my GitHub as
well https://github.com/icompuiz/toastycms or from the website
http://toastycms.com.

Since completing this first 'release' I have been fixing bugs that I
encounter during use. The largest deployment of this version of Toasty is
http://ritglobalunion.com. I have a few other active sites, but I can't
share them here.

The goal of this version was to abstract the common patterns encountered
while developing websites while still leaving the power in the hands of the
developers to create any kind of site.

Currently the documentation is in complete and barely touches on the number
of features available in the CMS. Granted most of the features available
are because Toasty exposes CakePHP's features to the developer.

I would love to have a discussion about how to make Toasty better and get
more users.

- Isioma Nnodum
#teamCake

---