On Dec 17, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Jon Miller wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2007 3:30 PM, John David Anderson (_psychic_)
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I'm also tiring of people crying about the docs. Right now, we have
>> 170 completely rewritten printed pages of documentation for code that
>> isn't even BETA.
>
> I've been struggling with Cake and yesterday found the tempdocs for
> 1.2 and it was like a lightbulb - they're brilliant, even if
> incomplete. Unlike the dreadfully sparse manual or API, they give real
> examples, just like the PHP.net docs.

Comments like that are what allows me to keep working on the docs.
Thanks.

Yes, it's a complete rewrite with more emphasis on the high-level and
with more examples. It's incomplete, but that's not so bad for pre-
beta docs. We're closing in on things though. Please contact me if
you'd like to help out.

> Unfortunately the existence of the docs is a bit of a secret. Despite
> having a big link to download 1.2 on the Cake homepage, there's no
> obvious link to the new docs on the Cake homepage, just to the old
> Cake manual. Sure it may not look as flashy, but if it has the info,
> who cares? It makes me wonder how many newbies are struggling just
> because they don't even know a secret new manual exists? In my view
> hiding the good docs away could really hurt takeup now that most
> people will be jumping straight to 1.2

True. I've added the link to the default CakePHP home.ctp - I hesitate
to link to it too much because of it's temporary nature, but it's no
secret (we've linked to it in announcements, etc.). Tell your
friends. :)

-- John