Hi AD7six

I like you answer -  letting the database use CONCAT leaves your code
nice and clean, how exactly are you suggesting to do it though?

Can you append it to the model in some way when you use a built in
method (e.g. findAll) or were you suggesting creating a custom query
function  in the model and then calling that instead of a built in
method (e.g. $this-->MyModel->MyQuery())

I've got a horrible suspicion that I've been writing a whole load of
unnecessary code, or does this only apply to 1.2 (I've only used 1.1
so far).

Thanks