The simplest way to do it would be to write a base class, stick it in
your vendors, and have the helper and component each extend it.  This
is kind of cheating, but as long as your helper doesn't need any of
the Helper base class functionality, you should be good.

As far as the setFlash bit, Im not 100% sure what you mean, but
sending your variables down to a custom flash layout should not result
in messy code by any means, unless I'm not understanding your
requirements here.