On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:36 PM, Doug @ Straw Dogs wrote:

<translate language="management">

> In answer (devils advocate) to the sites sales pitch:
> "No Configuration" - Way too vague.

== less maintenance cost (= less $ in the long run)

> "Extremely Simple" - One developer doesn't know how to use it.  Time
> is money and no matter how simple it is, it will still require time to
> learn.

== shallow learning curve for developers (= easy transition to a
better solution)

> "Active, Friendly Community" - So what?  Why do I care?  I can do it

== free documentation, free testing, free new features

Along with this, if your top guy gets hit by a bus (or worse, hired by
the competition), you have a pool of people you can go to in order to
get help and documentation.

> in PHP - that has a huge community too.
> "Best Practices" - We've not used best practices before and its
> worked.  So why change now?

Because you can only dodge the bullet for so long. Keep doing the
wrong thing, and it's gonna come back to haunt you. Guaranteed.

> "OO" - As above.  Nothing more than a buzzword.  Whats the point.
> Yada yada yada.

== reusable code, better maintainability

</translate>

Most of those translate into getting things out the door faster, and
being more safe as far as a solid, documented codebase.

fwiw,

John