On Mar 8, 2008, at 9:04 PM, the_woodsman wrote:

> I think it would be great if the big name contributors to the group
> welcomed ideas more openly!

Resistance is usually a side effect of being over stressed. When you
already feel like you've dumped too much into something and people
blue-sky for you, it's a little frustrating sometimes. We're an open
community but please realize that you're essentially brainstorming on
how to use other's time.

Maybe I've just got thicker skin, but one thing you'll need to get
used to here is Chris'... uh... frank way of expressing his views. :)

> I also think that a lot of people would benefit from at least an
> easily printable form of the book and api - and perhaps the cake devs
> don't entirely disagree, seeing as the new cook book has options for
> displaying the entire manual in one page.

No, we've planned on other output formats from the beginning. It's a
resource and priority issue. Once we've got some other priority issues
out of the way the PDF stuff will come next.

As will all things Cake (and open source in general) these things
usually happen 1000 times faster if someone offers to actually offers
to code it up. It really shouldn't be too bad. There's a plethora of
PDF libraries out there, something we just need to hook up to a
traversal of the book tree(s).

> Another 'living and breathing document', the wikipedia, thinks people
> find a printable version useful too.
>
> Asking for a DF version of the manual is not asking for the moon on a
> stick!

No I agree. It's coming, but I'm not exactly sure when just now.
Thanks for the input.

-- John