I'm working with Cake right now, and I thought that ACL was my answer
to this question, but it seems that Cake's ACL (ACL in general, I
suppose) only deals with roles, etc:

"It should be noted that ACL is *not* a system that is meant to
authenticate users. You should already have a way to store user
information and be able to verify that user's identity when they enter
the system."

Well, this is all good and well, but the user authentication systems I
develop, while being functional, leave quite a bit to be desired, and
I really wouldn't trust them beyond the limited purposes for which
I've deployed them. To put it simply, I expect that a framework like
this one would make developing a sane user authentication system a bit
easier for a developer like myself.

So, how should I go about developing a user authentication system in
Cake? Are these links the best starting point:
*
http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard/2007/09/11/a-hopefully-useful-tutorial-for-using-cakephps-auth-component/
* http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/871ff4c536bc1e00

Or should I look elsewhere? A search of "user authentication" under
Code in the Bakery returns nothing.