To address your specific example, such functionality should be handled
in models' afterFind(), where you can modify the returned data.
Also, take a look at the Set class in cake's API for some powerful
array manipulation tools.

And as far as the array structure, it also depends on how deep your
binding is... once you get familiar with the way returned arrays are
structured, it really doesn't matter one way or another.